Wheat

    חיטה

Transcendence : This is one of the great mysteries of the human condition: Why are we never content to simply be? We're always seeking the "more": to discover a new world, to rise above ourselves, to take it ("it" being whatever we happen to be involved in right now) to "the next level." Not satisfied to know where we are, we want to know where we came from and where we are going. Not satisfied with the self-defined, self-oriented reality of our "natural" existence, we strive for a self-obliterating union with G-d...
Rabbi Yanki Tauber, "Seven Fruits of the Soul"



I never saw a field of wheat -
"Yet know I how it looks" -
Nor had I known a single sheaf -
Except I found it in a book.

Wheat - it said - before it's made the staff of life
Must first be broken, crushed and ground -
Like the soul - I thought -
Processed in the mill of life -
Becomes whole and choice and sound.






...He Who makes your borders peaceful, 
and with the cream of the wheat He sates you; 
He Who dispatches His utterance earthward; 
how swiftly His commandment runs!... 
Psalm 147:14-15






Transcendent Wheat


        Wheat - I can eat to satiety -
                           'The staff of life' and 'stay of the heart' -
        But my hunger for Infinity -
                       Not even when soul and body do part.